‘I could be dead after this testimony’

  • Nation
  • Thursday, 26 Jul 2018

KUALA LUMPUR: The seventh accused in the murder of deputy public prosecutor Datuk Anthony Kevin Morais (pic) shocked the High Court when he said that his defence testimony might be his last as he could be dead after that.

S. Ravi Chandaran, 47, told the court this after taking his oath before High Court judge justice Azman Abdullah as the sixth and last defence witness in the murder trial.

“I want to tell Your Honour, I don’t know whether I will still be alive after giving this testimony, it might be my last,” he said in Tamil.

Azman told Ravi Chandaran to continue with his testimony and to inform his lawyer about the matter.

Ravi Chandaran complied.

To a question by lawyer V. Rajeh­gopal during examination-in-chief, Ravi Chandaran told the court that he went to a condominium in Jalan Dutamas here on Sept 3, 2015, to accompany a friend, G. Guna­sekaran, also known as “Jay”.

He said Jay told him that a “client” at the condominium had borrowed money and he wanted to collect the debt.

Ravi Chandaran told the court that he had this conversation at a restaurant in Petaling Jaya with four other men, namely his nephew S. Nimalan, R. Dinishwaran, A.K Thinesh Kumar and M. Vishwanath, who are also the accused in the case.

Ravi Chandaran said all of them then left for the condominium, with him in a Proton Perdana V6 driven by Jay, while the four others followed in a Mitsubishi Triton.

“We arrived at the condominium, at 7am sharp,” he said.

Ravi Chandaran said they waited in the car for about 15 to 20 minutes and when the “client” did not appear, they left.

When asked by Rajehgopal whether the condominium was Kondominium Menara Duta in Jalan Dutamas Raya which was occupied by Morais and the one visited by Justice Azman, the prosecution and defence teams, including the accused last April 17, Ravi Chandaran said “yes”.

Dinishwaran, Thinesh Kumar, Vishwanath, Nimalan, Ravi Chan­daran, and army doctor Kol Dr R. Kunaseegaran, 55, had pleaded not guilty to the charge of murdering Morais, 55, between 7am and 8pm on Sept 4, 2015, while the deputy public prosecutor was on his way from Jalan Dutamas 1 to Subang Jaya.

The hearing continues today. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Elderly man dies in car fire in Kuala Lumpur
Search continues for two fishermen feared drowned after falling off boat
Khairy gives assurance on 'better interim solution' to contract doctors issue
Landslip close to apartment raises safety fears among residents
Shafee paid RM1,000 as DPP in Anwar's sodomy appeal case, court told
Muda gets leave to challenge decision in rejecting its registration as political party
Genting, Tioman and Melaka shortlisted for proposed travel bubbles, says Nancy Shukri
Wei Lun sets his sights on making it to France Paralympics 2024
Aid will be given soon to victims of Kg Sugud flood, says Hajiji
Covid-19: 80% of Malaysia's adult population fully vaccinated, says PM

Stories You'll Enjoy