Health Ministry says no schools shut down in Kedah due to HFMD


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 22 Jul 2018

PETALING JAYA: No schools in Kedah have been closed due to outbreaks of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), said Health Ministry director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

Dr Noor was addressing a viral message on social media which claimed that 11 schools in Kedah had been closed due to HFMD outbreaks.

“Until now, there are no schools being shut down in Kedah due to HFMD outbreaks,” he said in a statement issued Sunday (July 22).

Based on observations by the Kedah Health Department in Kuala Muda, Dr Noor said only one HFMD cluster was reported at a primary school and another case notification at another primary school.

According to Dr Noor, the decision not to shut down the schools involved, was made based on findings by the state Health Department , which found that there were no possible risks of HFMD outbreaks in the two schools.

“The students involved in the two schools is stable and controlled. The Kedah Health Department did not received any HFMD case notification involving other schools.

Dr Noor also reminded the public to verify information or news on HFMD before believing it, especially inaccurate information from other sources.

He also urged the public to refrain from sharing false news before verifying it with the Health Ministry first.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site