Health Ministry says no schools in Selangor closed due to HFMD, debunking viral message


  • Nation
  • Friday, 20 Jul 2018

PETALING JAYA: There are no instances of schools closing in Selangor due to outbreaks of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), says the Health Ministry.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah was debunking a message going viral on social media which claimed that 51 schools in Selangor had been closed due to HFMD outbreaks.

"Based on observations by the Health Ministry in 2018 up to now, there have not been any school nor class closures in Selangor due to HFMD," he said.

He added that there were only two HFMD clusters reported at two separate schools, and neither led to closures of schools nor classes.

"The schools and classes involved were not closed as checks by the health team found that there was no risk of HFMD infection to other students," he said in a statement on Friday (July 20).

Dr Noor Hisham also reminded the public to verify information or news on HFMD before believing it, especially inaccurate information from other sources.

He also urged the public to refrain from sharing false news before verifying it with the Health Ministry first.

He added that the number of HFMD cases is expected to rise, as better awareness has led to an increase in the number of parents bringing in their affected child for treatment.

"This causes the number of cases to rise because HFMD is a disease that must be notified to health authorities under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988," said Dr Noor Hisham.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

nation , HFMD , Health Ministry , Selangor , school

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online