KUALA LUMPUR: The Cabinet has agreed in principle to terminate the job of the main contractor involved in building Hospital Petra Jaya in Sarawak, said Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.
He said that the ministry will begin the process of terminating the contract of Zecon Bhd.
"This will be a warning to other contractors that delivered poor jobs," he said after launching the Healthcare Forum 2018 - Sustaining Tomorrow's Healthcare, Empowering Today's Consumers Thursday (July 5).
On Tuesday (July 3), Dr Dzulkefly said that it will proposed to the Cabinet on Wednesday to terminate the contract.
He said the hospital in Kuching was supposed to be completed on Nov 29, 2016 but as of June this year, only 34.54% of the project was done, with the completion date pushed back to December.
The delay is causing overcrowding at the Sarawak General Hospital.
Dr Dzulkefly said that the ministry will not appoint another main contractor for Hospital Petra Jaya, as this will take too long.
The job will be taken over by the Public Works Department (PWD or JKR), he said.
Meanwhile, other contractors for the hospital that were performing well will be allowed to continue their work, he said.
Dr Dzulkefly said that there are 23 hospital and clinic projects nationwide that had been classified as in the "red zone" - which meant that the projects were delayed.
Out of the 23 facilities, nine are hospitals and some of the projects had been delayed for two years, he added.
Hospital building required specialised skills but some of the contractors given the jobs were incompetent and did not have a track record, he said.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!