PUTRAJAYA: Former Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) governor Tan Sri Dr Zeti Akhtar (pic) is upset over the allegation made by former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak that she "knew" about the RM2.6bil in the latter's personal bank account but "did nothing".
Zeti expressed this to Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng when they met earlier along with the other Council of Eminent Persons (CEP) members during the Hari Raya open house organised by the Ministry.
"She had raised to me what the former Prime Minister (Najib) had mentioned and she was upset.
"She said (the allegations) are completely false, baseless and untrue," said Lim after attending the Customs Department open house in conjunction with the Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebration on Tuesday (July 3).
In an exclusive interview with an online portal, Najib had alleged that Zeti knew about the RM2.6bil in his bank account prior to GE13, but did not question it.
“If Bank Negara was in the know of these funds and they had an inkling or some knowledge that there could have been some doubts about the source of the funds, I expected them to tell me," Najib claimed in the interview.
"But nothing of that sort happened. So I assumed all along that it was fine.”
Lim said that he had urged Zeti to consult her lawyers and seek legal advice on the matter.
"I said if that is so, you should consult your lawyers.
"I am certain she is doing that and let us wait for her decision. We should let due process takes its course," said the Finance Minister.
Lim also expressed his confidence over Zeti's integrity and credibility while helming BNM.
"We will let the public decide," he said.
Reports by The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and Sarawak Report in 2015, had claimed that US$681mil (then worth RM2.6bil) from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), were transferred to Najib’s account prior to GE13.
However, Najib had always claimed that the RM2.6bil was a "donation" from a Saudi royal.
He also maintained that RM2.5bil (US$620mil) of the total amount had been returned to the donor after GE13.
In his speech to the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (WAN-IFRA) Asia Media Awards in April 2017, Najib Razak referred to “a well-known foreign newspaper” which he alleged to be “printing lies about the Government”.
Although there was news that Najib planned to sue the WSJ, till now, no such law suit has been filed.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!