KUALA LUMPUR: There were fewer accidents and fatalities on the road during the current Hari Raya season compared with last year.
Bukit Aman Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department director Senior Asst Comm Sharul Othman Mansor said that with only one day of Op Selamat 13 remaining, there were 360 fewer cases compared with Op Selamat 11.
"For Op Selamat 11 last year, the number of accidents was 19,898 cases with 225 fatalities.
"For the current op, we have 19,538 cases with 200 fatalities so far," he said at a press conference at the Sungai Besi toll plaza on Thursday.
Motorcyclists still make up the highest number of fatalities with 119 out of the 200 recorded deaths.
However, this was fewer than the 150 motorcycle-related fatalities recorded for the same period last year.
SAC Sharul Othman said that so far, 287,221 summonses had been issued for Op Selamat 13, with Selangor recording the highest number of summonses at 46,216.
He was speaking to the press after overseeing a roadblock conducted by a joint team of several enforcement agencies including the police, Road Transport Department (JPJ), PLUS, Immigration Department and Puspakom at the Sungai Besi toll plaza.
Thirteen people have so far been arrested at the roadblock.
"Twelve were detained as they didn't have proper travel documents, and one was because he failed a drug test," said SAC Sharul Othman.
Did you find this article insightful?