AN Indian family in Baling, Kedah, who lost their home in a fire in 2005, finally received a replacement house thanks to the effort of Baling MP Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim, Malaysia Nanban reported.
Chinnammal Manikam said the house was destroyed in a fire on Aug 5, 13 years ago.
Her brother, who was in the house at the time, managed to escape but the fire consumed all their belongings.
Their mother was heartbroken over losing the family home and passed away soon after, she said.
The family was forced to rent houses as they could not afford to rebuild the house.
They sought help from the state authorities but were not successful until the matter reached Azeez in 2014, she said.
The family finally moved into their new home which was handed over by Azeez along with RM200 to help them purchase essential household items.
> A hospital in Maharashtra, India, is being investigated after a comatose patient was apparently bitten on the face by rats, Tamil dailies reported.
Pramindar Gupta, 27, was involved in a bad traffic accident and has been in a coma since early March.
He was transferred to a government hospital near Mumbai and was placed in a general ward.
A few days ago his father was shocked to see two rats near his son’s bed when he went to visit him.
He chased the rats away but noticed his son was bleeding from a wound near his eye.
The district health authorities are investigating the incident.
Last October, a paralysed elderly woman in a north Mumbai hospital was also bitten by rats.
? The above article is compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with this ' >'sign, it denotes a separate news item.
Did you find this article insightful?