Deny Pakatan Harapan majority in Penang, says NGO


  • Nation
  • Monday, 12 Mar 2018

GEORGE TOWN: A non-governmental organisation has urged Penangites to deny a two-thirds majority to Pakatan Harapan in the coming general election.

Penang Citizen Awareness Chant Group adviser Yan Lee said the move was to ensure a better check and balance.

“The only way to monitor a government in a Westminster system and to ensure that it does the right thing is to have a proper check and balance in place.

“We hope that the people will vote wisely, looking at the candidates rather than just supporting a certain political party,” he said at a press conference.

Yan Lee also raised safety concerns over several hillslope sites such as Paya Terubong, Mount Erskine, Bukit Relau, Tanjong Tokong and Batu Gantung.

“Now is the dry season. We want to know what have been carried out to ensure the safety of these hillslopes and the people living around the area,” he said.

He also asked why the heritage inventory prepared by the George Town World Heritage Incorporated in 2014 has not been gazetted so far.

“It is important so that we know how to protect all the heritage houses, villages and properties that are listed as heritage,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Politics , Northern Region , Chant , Yan Lee , election

   

Next In Nation

Najib stands with Perikatan Nasional government, but not Muhyiddin as Prime Minister
Follow SOP to reduce Covid-19 infection rate, IGP urges public
Covid-19: Cluster linked to JB Aidiladha visit among 36 new clusters
Dr M calls for PM and Cabinet to resign
PMO: Emergency Ordinances revocation done in accordance to Federal Constitution, law
Tuan Ibrahim: PAS stands by Muhyiddin and calls on all political leaders to be united
Covid-19: 174 new deaths bring total fatalities to 8,725
Give firm commitment that Parliament sitting will be adjourned to Aug 2, says Anwar
Covid-19: EMCO in several localities in six states from July 31- Aug 13
Stop-work order issued after LRT3 construction site mishap

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers