Former Bersih man detained for allegedly insulting Islam


  • Nation
  • Monday, 29 Jan 2018

PETALING JAYA: Police have detained former Bersih 2.0 deputy chairman Sarajun Hoda Abdul Hassan for allegedly insulting the Islamic faith.  

It is learnt that Sarajun was picked up by police on Monday evening (Jan 29) and brought to Dang Wangi police headquarters.  

His arrest was confirmed by Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Shaharuddin Abdullah, but he declined to give further information, saying that the case was under Bukit Aman.

It is learnt that Sarajun is being investigated under Section 298 of the Penal Code (uttering words with intent to wound the religious feelings of any person) and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.  

In October last year, several NGOs lodged police reports against Sarajun for criticising on social media about the detention of Turkish Islamic intellectual Mustafa Akyol by the Federal Territories Islamic Affairs Department on Sept 24.  

Mustafa was held for allegedly giving a talk on Islam without prior accreditation from the Religious Teaching Supervisory Committee.  

It is, however, unclear if the arrest is related to the police reports.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Body of foreigner found in bushes with head injuries
King, Queen grace dinner in conjunction with Conference of Rulers meeting
Repair works completed, train services back to normal on Kelana Jaya LRT line
New water tariff adjustments for non-domestic categories from Jan 1 in Penang
Boy dies after being crushed by falling electric poles
Poster on traffic summonses discount is false, says Home Ministry
Body of man who fell off Tenom bridge found after six days
GE15: BN, PH candidates to discuss campaign strategy for Tioman seat
Civil service committed to implement reform agenda under PM Anwar, says Chief Secretary to the Government�
DID issues flood preparedness notice in three states

Others Also Read