PETALING JAYA: A female elephant died in Gerik, Perak after it was believed to have been electrocuted by a live wire.
The Management & Ecology of Malaysian Elephants (MEME) said that the elephant was estimated to be about 40 years old.
Its field manager Alicia Solana said that there is a possibility that the elephant was either pregnant or had just given birth.
"We are not sure about this at the moment, but there was milk coming out from its breasts," she told the Star Online on Tuesday.
The incident occurred close to the Seri Banding army camp in Gerik on Monday night.
She added that the elephant was most likely part of a group of other females and babies looking for food.
"It is very common for them to roam around this area beside the highway as there is plenty of grass and suitable food for them," she said.
Solana said it was believed that the elephant was electrocuted after pushing against the zinc wall of a temporary house built in the area, which is located next to the highway.
There was no one around at the time of the incident, added Solana.
"It is a big loss emotionally as we knew this group and could identify them. We saw them very often," she said.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!