OVER 5,000 foreigners are being held in temporary detention centres in Sabah for illegal entry, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim.
He said 5,392 foreigners were found to have entered the country illegally through Sabah as of Nov 21.
“Since 1990, a total of 563,162 foreigners have been deported from Sabah for illegal entry and other reasons. Most of them were from Indonesia and the Philippines.
“In fact, on Nov 23, the Government will deport 303 Indonesian detainees through the port of Tawau,” he said in reply to a question by Datuk Jumat Idris (BN-Sepanggar) in Parliament. Shahidan said there had been no Filipino refugees under the supervision of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Sabah since the 1970s.
He added that 1.17 million foreigners entered Sabah legally last year.
“Between January and August this year, we had 544,644 foreigners entering Sabah legally.
“Also, a total of 39,360 documents have been issued by the authorities to foreigners, such as entry permits, temporary identification cards and census certificates,” he said.