Floods still affecting more than 1,500 in Kota Belud


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 24 Oct 2017

KOTA BELUD, 21 Okt -- Sebahagian daripada mangsa banjir yang ditempatkan di Dewan Masyarat Tun Said setakat malam tadi.Seramai 272 mangsa banjir ditempatkan di dewan ini.--fotoBERNAMA(2017) HAK CIPTA TERPELIHARA

KOTA KINABALU: The number of flood victims in Kota Belud as at 3.30pm yesterday was 1,519, according to the Malaysian Civil Defence Force.

It said in a statement that seven evacuation centres were currently in operation.

They are Dewan Masyarakat Tun Said, Dewan Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Agama Tun Said, Dewan SMK Taun Gusi 1, Dewan SMK Taun Gusi 2, Dewan Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Taun Gusi, Dewan Muhibah Tombol as well as Dewan SK Pekan.

“One centre, Dewan Gopog Taginambur, was closed yesterday as the floodwaters have been receding,” it said.

Meanwhile, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim said a total of RM422.4mil has been allocated through the National Disaster Relief Trust Fund to face floods in the country since 2008 until the end of this year.

KOTA BELUD, 21 Okt -- Sebuah rumah di kampung Lontigi dekat sini masih ditenggelami banjir setelah hujan lebat sejak empat hari lalu.--fotoBERNAMA (2017) HAK CIPTA TERPELIHARA
A house in Kampung Lontigi, near Kota Belud, still inundated by flood waters after the recent heavy rain. — Bernama
 

He said the assistance for flood victim management included building new permanent homes for victims whose houses were damaged.

“To date, out of the total allocation, RM101.63mil had been utilised for floods in Kelantan, RM52.9mil in Terengganu and RM55.85mil in Pahang.

“In addition, RM113mil was used for the construction of 1,384 new permanent houses to flood victims nationwide,” he said in Parliament yesterday.

“The Government will also ensure disaster response is coordinated effectively.

“To achieve this, the Government is focusing on training and workshops involving relevant officers to operate the disaster control centre and the incident scene control centre,” he said.

The Government had also intensified disaster preparedness measures, he further added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

floods , disaster relief , Kota Belud ,

   

Next In Nation

Jobless man arrested for posing as cop in attempted robbery
Covid-19: 94.7% of Malaysia's adult population fully vaccinated
Melaka polls: Perikatan component parties to contest under a single banner, says Muhyiddin
Pandelela: I shared my ‘not so nice' experience to support other sexual harassment victims
Man feared drowned after jumping off bridge
Measures to prevent Covid-19 spike during Melaka polls among focus in Parliament on Tuesday (Oct 26)
MACC arrests GLC exec, two others for misuse of power
INTERACTIVE: Crouching Tigers, Hidden Cameras
Shafee gets passport back
Penangite wins international award for Covid-19 short film

Others Also Read


Vouchers