KUALA LUMPUR: There are no Malaysian victims in the mass shooting at an open music concert in Las Vegas, United States, which has killed at least 50 people.
Press secretary to the Foreign Minister Datin Nirvana Jalil Ghani said the Malaysian Embassy in the US had been contacted to check on the latest developments.
“To date, no Malaysians are involved,” she said when contacted by Bernama here Monday.
According to Reuters, at least 50 people were killed and more than 400 injured when a gunman opened fire on a country music festival at the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday, raining down bullets from the 32nd floor of a hotel for several minutes before committing suicide.
The death toll, which police emphasised was preliminary, would make the attack the deadliest mass shooting in US history, eclipsing last year's massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club.
Some 22,000 people were in the crowd when the man opened fire, sending panicked people fleeing the scene, in some cases trampling one another, as law enforcement officers scrambled to locate and kill the gunman.
Shocked concertgoers, some with blood on their clothes, wandered the streets after the attack.
At least 406 people were taken to area hospitals with injuries, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said.
Police identified the gunman as area resident Stephen Paddock, 64, and said they had no information yet about his motive.
Paddock shot himself before police entered the hotel room he was firing from, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters.