ALOR SETAR: Thousands at flood evacuation centres in Kedah and Perlis are hopeful that the sudden clear skies and sunny weather will enable them to finally return home.
Flooding after three days of intermittent heavy downpours, some which lasted up to seven hours, forced 4,817 victims into relief centres.
Some victims had been at these centres since Thursday and many are longing to go home.
Basri Rejab, 56, who has been at the SK Titi Gajah relief centre in Kedah since Friday, said he wanted to return to his home in Kampung Alor Senjaya and get on with life.
“By being here, I am not able to earn a living and support my family. I hope the situation improves fast,” he said.
His neighbour Zairul Anuar, 44, also said the floods had affected his livelihood.
Zairul added that his neighbourhood had flooded three times in the last one month.
“The state government must do something about it.”
Muhammad Mat, 75, from Alor Perang, said it was even harder for the elderly.
“I am hoping to go home soon,” he said.
The discomfort was worse for Aishah Man, 76, who is paralysed from the waist down.
“It’s not easy to stay at a place that is not your home. Only God knows the difficulty I have to go through,” said the former teacher from Tebing Tinggi in Bintong, Perlis.
Civil Defence Force director-general Datuk Azmy Yahya said the flood waters in both states were expected to recede.
“The waters are already receding but very slowly because of Monday’s high tide,” said Azmy to reporters during his visit to the SK Titi Gajah relief centre.
Three schools in these states will remain closed today due to the floods.
A Kedah Education Department spokesman said SK Seri Banai was inundated while roads leading to SK Bukit Hijau was also flooded.