PETALING JAYA: There is an increase in dengue deaths but the number of dengue fever cases remain similar to the week before, according to the Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC).
Although the number of cases did not show any increase, the public was warned that a spike in cases is expected from September onwards if no effort is made to reduce it, said the Health Ministry’s Vector-borne disease head Dr Rose Nani Mudin.
Six dengue deaths were reported from Aug 6 to 12, compared with two from July 30 to Aug 5.
There were 1,899 dengue cases reported from Aug 6 to 12, similar to the week of July 30 to Aug 5.
Dr Rose Nani said weekly dengue trends of previous years’ had shown an increase from September.
“If individuals, communities and all relevant agencies do not actively search and destroy aedes breeding places, it will be difficult to prevent the surge of cases.
“Maintaining good habits and not littering will help in dengue prevention efforts.
“This will reduce the incidence of dengue cases and deaths,” she said.
Due to the rain over the past few weeks, Dr Rose Nani also advised residents to remove containers left outdoors as they could be mosquito breeding grounds.
Newly laid mosquito eggs will turn into adult mosquitoes within five to seven days, she said.
From January to Aug 12, the CPRC reported that there were 141 dengue deaths compared with 153 for the same period last year, which is 7.8% lower.
There were 61,420 and 69,400 dengue cases reported for the periods respectively.
No Chikungunya cases were reported from July 30 to Aug 5. There were 248 Chikungunya cases as at Aug 12.
All efforts, especially in maintaining cleanliness, should be a priority and people should carry out gotong-royong as well as search and destroy activities at least once a week to stamp out Aedes breeding sites, said CPRC.
What do you think of this article?