Abdul Razak denies being charged over submarine deal


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 03 Aug 2017

PETALING JAYA: Political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda has denied reports that he was charged in France over Malaysia’s purchase of Scorpene submarines in 2002, clarifying instead that a formal investigation had taken place.

“The French inquiry is on alleged corruption in the purchase of the Scorpene submarines in 2002.

“It must be emphasised that it’s an ongoing inquiry and no formal charges in a court of law have been brought against any individual,” he said in a statement.

“French news reports on July 19 and Aug 1 stated that individuals involved in the purchase have been charged.

“These reports have been carried in other mass media and are misleading. The term charged in the context of the inquiry means placing the said individuals under formal investigation,” he added.

Abdul Razak said the French legal process was different from that in Malaysia, where a person suspected of a crime was investigated and then charged in court should there be sufficient evidence.

Welcoming the French inquiry, he said he had not committed any crime of corruption or breached any law in the matter.

On Tuesday, AFP reported that Abdul Razak had been charged in Paris on July 18 over alleged kickbacks in the purchase of the submarines.

Quoting an unnamed judicial source, the story claimed that Abdul Razak was charged with “active and passive complicity in corruption” and “misappropriation of corporate assets”.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Courts & Crime , razak baginda , scorpene , france

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online