BUTTERWORTH: The state government has been accused of turning a blind eye to the illegal eateries along Pantai Bersih in Bagan Ajam.
State Opposition Leader and Teluk Air Tawar rep Datuk Jahara Hamid said she was disappointed that no action had been taken against the restaurant operators to date, although the matter had been highlighted in the media.
“I don’t think the state government has any intention to do anything about the issue.
“Some smaller stalls had been torn down for minor licensing violations elsewhere,” she said when contacted yesterday.
The Star on June 9 played up the issue of unlicensed eateries ‘getting out of control’ and having taken over Pantai Bersih.
Jahara said the best way to tackle the issue would be to practise the ‘last in, first out’ principle.
“Those built recently should be torn down first,” she said.
Jahara said she was informed by state Local Government Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow during the last state assembly sitting that 22 notices had been issued to the operators, but none had budged.
When contacted, Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) president Rozali Mohamud said the matter would need time to resolve.
“We need to discuss with the Land Office of north Seberang Prai before we can move in,” he said.
Pantai Bersih is probably the only place left on the mainland that offers sandy shores and a panoramic view of Penang island.
The beach in Pantai Bersih was meant to be turned into a recreational park, but the restaurants and cafes have mushroomed along the seafront, seemingly without fear of the local authorities.
None of the six large restaurants and 10 smaller eateries there have a licence to operate.
Did you find this article insightful?