Johor MB: Authorities must get to the bottom of the missing radar case


JOHOR BARU: The state government wants authorities to get to the bottom of the case where military radar equipment worth millions of ringgit went missing, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin (pic).

He said the case should be taken seriously after the consignment from Australia went missing at the Tanjung Pelepas port here.

"The authorities need to provide answers on what happened and whether it was an inside job," he told reporters when met at his Hari Raya open house at the Pasir Gudang indoor stadium on Thursday.

He added that the case would affect investors' trust in the state.

It was reported several agencies, including the police, Customs Department and the International Trade and Industry Ministry (Miti) are investigating the disappearance.

Sources said Customs officials detained the radar systems shortly after the consignment arrived from Australia last month.

The container and the items in it were supposed to be shipped to the Netherlands via Johor, but the consignment did not have the necessary permits, which led to the unexpected detention.

All military equipment being shipped out of, or in transit through any Malaysian port, requires a special permit from Miti.


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia