AGC expresses frustration over 'repeat' of last year's suit by US DoJ


  • Nation
  • Friday, 16 Jun 2017

PETALING JAYA: The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has expressed its frustration over not being informed by the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) of their latest civil lawsuits against 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) that appears to be a "repeat" of last year's suit.

The AGC reaffirmed that there is no evidence of misappropriation of 1MDB funds, nor has there been any criminal charges against any individual over the matter.

"1MDB is a Malaysian company and has been the subject of multiple investigations within Malaysia, including by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission, Auditor General and the bi-partisan Public Accounts Committee," said Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali (pic) in a statement on Friday.

"After review, we found that that no crime was committed," he said.

Apandi said there is currently an "ongoing investigation" being conducted by the police concerning 1MDB.

"We would like to express strong concerns at the insinuations that have been made against the Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak) of criminal wrongdoing," said Apandi.

"At no point in the civil claims is the Prime Minister named as a defendant or has been alleged to have committed any criminal wrongdoing," he said.

The AGC said that to date, they have yet to receive any request from DoJ to obtain any information or evidence regarding the case.

"However, we would welcome such a request in line with our commitment to international cooperation and the fight against money laundering," he said.

"As I have promised before, AGC will not hesitate to initiate proceedings against the perpetrators of criminal acts provided there is sufficient evidence to do so.

"Any wrongdoing will be punished and Malaysia will always uphold the rule of law," said Apandi.

The DoJ on Thursday moved to seize another US$540mil (RM2.3bil) of assets allegedly belonging to 1MDB.

This time last year, US prosecutors filed civil asset-forfeiture suits against more than US$1bil (RM4.27bil) worth of artworks, real estate and other assets owned by several individuals.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Only 107 of 5,666 new cases show serious symptoms, says Health DG
Khairy leading Malaysian delegation to WHO conference in Japan
Provide more details on Constitutional amendments to reinstate Sabah and Sarawak's rights, urges SAPP
Sabah govt-Socso collaboration saw over 4,800 locals get jobs, says CM
Budget 2022 will address foreign worker shortage issue, says Deputy Finance Minister
Covid-19: Relaxed restrictions, declining SOP adherence possibly behind case increase in Sabah, says Masidi
Covid-19: Another 5,666 new cases, cumulative total now 2,431,716
Mamat Khalid laid to rest
Johor DOE has yet to receive report from space agency over illegal toxic waste disposal claim
Sabah Pakatan to complete MOU preliminary draft on bipartisan cooperation with GRS, says Liew

Others Also Read


Vouchers