PETALING JAYA: Malaysia strongly condemned the suicide car bomb attack in Kabul, Afghanistan where the death toll has risen to 64 with over 300 others injured.
Wisma Putra said in a statement Wednesday, that the Government expressed its deep sorrow at the senseless act of violence and voiced its hope that the perpetrators will be brought to justice quickly.
“The Government of Malaysia also extends its deepest condolences and sympathies to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and to the bereaved families.
“So far, there are no Malaysians reported involved in the incident,” the ministry said.
The Foreign Ministry, through the High Commission of Malaysia in New Delhi, will continue to monitor the situation.
At least 64 people have been killed and 320 others injured in Wednesday morning's explosion in a diplomatic district in the Afghan capital.
"One terrorist detonated an explosive-laden vehicle near Zanbaq Square in Police District 10 at 08:25am (local time), as a result 64 innocent civilians were killed and 320 civilians were wounded," the ministry said in a statement.
"Several women and children were among the victims," spokesman of Interior Ministry Najib Danish told China's Xinhua news agency, adding that more than 50 vehicles were destroyed and dozens of the buildings around the site were damaged by the blast.
Among other office buildings located at the area are an intelligence agency office, a local TV channel, a mobile phone company as well as German, Indian and British embassies.
"The attack was aimed at killing and injuring people and cause destruction. The suicide bomber detonated the vehicle in the middle of a main road in the morning rush hour," a security official told Xinhua near the site when asked about the target of the blast.
The car bomb was planted in a septic tank truck, he said.
Military helicopters were hovering over the site hours after the incident to monitor the situation.
Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
The attack was the second massive bombing in Kabul this month.
On May 3, eight civilians were killed and 27 people, including three US soldiers, were injured in a suicide bombing in nearby Macroray locality.
Local affiliates of the Islamic State (IS) or Daesh have claimed responsibility.