JOHOR BARU: Social media users are being urged to stop speculating over the death of an 11-year-old boy who was allegedly abused at a private religious school in Kota Tinggi here.
"The public should stop spreading rumours and unverified news, especially on social media, as this will confuse others and worsen the situation," said Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin.
He also said that the police should be given the space to investigate the case thoroughly so justice can be done.
Mohamed Khaled was speaking to reporters after attending the Koperasi Warisan Kampung Senibong Johor Baru Berhad's sixth general meeting on Monday.
He was asked to comment on a statement issued by the school, Madrasah Tahfiz Al-Jauhar's (MTAJ), on its Facebook page on Sunday in relation to six pages of notes written by the deceased, Mohamad Thaqif Amin Mohd Gaddafi.
In a lengthy statement, MTAJ claimed that besides a page in the boy's diary documenting his alleged torment, there were other pages that could have explained his real characteristics.
The school also said that the six pages had been handed over to the police.
It was reported in The Star that the private religious school located in Kampung Lukut has vouched for the assistant warden who allegedly abused the late Mohamad Thaqif.
In a statement posted two weeks after the alleged abuse came to light, the school admitted it knew that the 29-year-old was an ex-convict before employing him.
It was reported that the suspect had served a 30-month jail term for theft before he was employed last year.
He is currently under police remand until May 3 for investigation under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.
The school said the suspect was honest about his past wrongdoings and he was employed following his intention to change for the better.