Remand extended for suspect in abused schoolboy case


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017

The condition of his legs before the operation.

KOTA TINGGI: The assistant warden from a religious school here who allegedly abused an 11-year-old schoolboy, causing both his legs to be amputated, has been remanded for another three days to aid investigations.

Update: Schoolboy in abuse case dies

Kota Tinggi OCPD Supt Rahmat Othman said the district court allowed the remand of the 29-year-old suspect to be extended for another three days, until Saturday, April 29.

The suspect was arrested last Saturday, and initially remanded for four days.

Supt Rahmat added that the case is being investigated under Section 31(1) of the Child Protection Act 2001.

The suspect, an ex-convict who served jail time for theft, has been working at the privately-run school since last year.

He was suspended after the alleged abuse came to light.

The suspect was said to have whipped the 11-year-old boy and several other students with a water hose as punishment.

The boy reportedly suffered from a bacterial infection after the abuse, which saw both his legs being cut off as his blood cells and tissues were damaged.

He is now in danger of losing his right arm too.

 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

abuse , Johor , courts & crime , abused boy , remand

   

Next In Nation

Sabah govt forms committee to handle, monitor flash floods, says Bung Moktar
Covid-19: Khairy urges pharmacists to guide Malaysians into endemic phase
Mosti aims for 5,000 employment opportunities in 2022
Over RM30bil in economic grants, subsidies discussed at Pakatan-Finance Ministry meeting ahead of Budget 2022
Covid-19: Almost 45% of eligible Orang Asli fully vaccinated, says Jakoa DG
Unfair to make seniors go for medical check-up before driving licence renewal, says group
Investigators seize luxury vehicles, RM50,000 cash in probe on three MACC officers, sources say
King and Queen visit Malaysian High Commission in UK
Business events group appeals for swift reopening of sector
Covid-19: M'sia's death toll now at 24,931 with 250 total fatalities reported Friday (Sept 24)

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers