Penang Gerakan denied access to three land reclamation agreements


  • Nation
  • Friday, 14 Apr 2017

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang state secretary’s office has rejected applications by Penang Gerakan Youth to access three land reclamation agreements via the Freedom of Information (FOI) Enactment.

State Gerakan acting Youth chief Jason Loo Jieh Sheng said he received three letters from the office, informing him that all the three applications were rejected last week.

Loo said he was told that the agreements of Seri Tanjung Pinang 1 (STP1) and Seri Tanjung Pinang 2 (STP2) projects were rejected due to the ‘Confidentiality Clause’.

On the agreement of Gurney Wharf reclamation project, he said it was rejected because it is a supplemental agreement to the STP agreement and must be read together with the main agreement.

“I want to ask, where is the ‘Open Government Concept’ in Penang? When the DAP-led administration attempted to pass the FOI Enact-ment in the state assembly in 2010, they promoted the CAT (Compe-tency, Accountability and Tran-sparency) concept.

“Section 11(2) of the Penang FOI Enactment 2010 clearly says that the state authority shall have the power to disclose or declassify agreements if the public interest for their disclosure outweighs the risk.

“Section 11(2) and the whole Enactment were drafted and passed by them. What we see today is against the spirit of FOI,” Loo told a press conference at Penang Gerakan headquarters yesterday.

He had applied under the FOI Enactment to buy copies of the agreements and documents for the three projects.

He said he would file an appeal to obtain the documents at the state secretary’s office under Section 9 of the FOI Enactment next week.


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia