KUANTAN: A man sustained facial injuries in a minor explosion believed to have been triggered after he lit a cigarette in the toilet of a hotel in Genting Highlands.
Initial checks revealed that the 11am explosion could have been caused by a gaseous reaction involving a septic tank and cigarette lighter.
The unidentified victim, in his 40s, was warded at the Selayang Hospital where his condition was described as stable.
Genting Highlands Fire and Rescue Department chief Senior Supt Yusri Abdullah Sani said a team of firemen found the injured victim in the toilet with injuries to his face.
He said the impact of the explosion damaged the nearby walls, ceiling and area located within a 5m radius of the toilet.
"Initial investigations revealed the toilet was used by the hotel's staff and was located at the base of the hotel. However, it was currently not in use due to maintenance work.
"We have not ruled out the possibility the explosion was caused by the reaction of gas from a septic tank and flame from the cigarette lighter," he added.
Meanwhile in IPOH, an elderly married couple sustained burns when a gas stove in a room - converted into a sauna - at their house caught fire.
The 71-year-old man and his 63-year-old wife sustained burns on the face, hands and feet in the 1pm incident which occurred in Kampung Datuk Ahmad Said Tambahan 3.
In a statement, Meru Raya Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Mohd Fauzi Hashim @ Nazri said the victims were warded at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hopital here. - Bernama