Villagers protest over power supply cut in three illegal settlements in Sandakan


  • Nation
  • Friday, 10 Mar 2017

KOTA KINABALU: Villagers in three illegal settlements in Sandakan held a peaceful demonstration over a power supply cut to their homes.

The residents of Kg Bakau, Kg Sundang Laut dan Kg Batu Sapi Laut, who get their power supply via a private company that buys electricity from Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB), staged the demonstration in front of Wisma Perbandaran on Friday.

Arinih Hussin, who is a resident of Kg Sundang Laut, said it was unfair that electricity supply to their homes was cut despite them having paid their bills on time and paying a higher fee than consumers who get their supply directly from SESB.

"We have had our power supply cut off since March 1 and it seems that this is because the private company did not pay SESB," she said.

"We hope SESB can take over the task of supplying electricity to us directly instead of through this private company," she said.

"It's been 10 days without electricity now and we are suffering, please help us," Arinih added.

She said most of the residents earned about RM1,000 per month and the high electricity bills were a burden to them.

She claimed that the private company even asked them for a deposit for the reconnection of power supply.

Sekong assemblyman Datuk Samsudin Yahya, who met the residents during the demonstration, said he would help organise a meeting with all the relevant parties to solve the problem.

Batu Sapi Umno Youth vice-chief Mohd Azmie Jamal, who was also at the demonstration, urged SESB and the private company to come up with a better solution to help the residents.

It is learnt that the private company had asked for a deposit for every electrical appliance owned by the families, such as RM20 for a lamp, RM15 for each fan, refrigerator (RM30 each), television (RM25 each), iron (RM15), washing machine (RM40) and RM10 for a handphone charger cable for the reconnection process.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Dr Wee confident M’sian contingent will do well in Olympics
Wakaf Tapai Rukun Tetangga deputy chairman shot dead by close friend
Two-year extension for contract doctors will allow Health Ministry to look at other ways to reward them, says sec-gen
Chow Kit market to close for seven days from Saturday (July 24)
Covid-19: More community than workplace clusters reported, says Health DG
Covid-19: Nearly 40,000 cops, family members test positive since March last year
Hamzah urges IGP to take stern action against personnel involved in partying at police station
Heavy rain, strong winds damage Tanjung Sedili MMEA office
MCA proposes ‘Marshall Plan’ towards an inclusive economy
Covid-19: 144 fatalities bring death toll to 7,718

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers