Teen witnesses to Balamurugan's abuse are being illegally detained, claims lawyer

PETALING JAYA: A teenager who is said to have witnessed the alleged abuse of S. Balamurugan is being detained and allegedly abused by the police along with another teenager.

Lawyer Mishant Thiruchelvam who is representing the boys told The Star Online that his clients, both 16, have been beaten up and detained in an adult lock-up instead of being kept in a separate facility.

He said one of the boys was arrested on Feb 6 with Balamurugan in Bukit Rajah while the other was arrested subsequently in Banting.

Balamurugan, 44, died at the North Klang police headquarters on Feb 8.

Earlier, he had been taken to a magistrate's court to be remanded, which was denied after the magistrate saw him vomit blood.

The court then ordered that Balamurugan be taken to a hospital or released but police took him to the police headquarters where he died.

"The police claim that the two boys were arrested for robbery, and though one of them admitted to having committed one, the other boy claims he was never involved in any of the said cases.

"After they were brought to the North Klang police station, remand was granted for four days. On Feb 11, the police applied for three more days of remand which was granted.

"On Feb 14, the remand for the boys expired, so they were taken to the Banting police station to process a new arrest, following which they were granted two more days of remand until Feb 17," said Mishant.

The lawyer said that the two boys were brought to the Telok Datuk court on Feb 17 where the investigating officer had applied for the remand to be renewed again.

"However, Magistrate Marsilawati Mohd Shah denied the remand after seeing that the boys were severely injured.

"Just as they stepped out of court however, the two boys were taken by the police to the South Klang police headquarters where they were remanded until Feb 21," he said.

Mishant said that on Feb 22, the investigating officer applied for the remand to be extended at the Klang magistrate's court, but seeing as the boys were injured, the magistrate there denied the remand.

He said that the boys were then allowed to change their clothes and leave the court with their parents.

"But just as they were about to get into the car, the police rearrested them and applied for two more days of remand.

"Oddly enough, another Klang magistrate granted the police four days remand instead of the applied two days and we are unsure why," he added.

Mishant said that he has lodged a police report over the issue and that at present he has no updates on the status of the boys.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Covid-19: 92 fatalities take death toll to 7,994
Covid-19: Sarawak detects 93 cases involving Delta variant
Covid-19: Suggestion on antibody test is outside police jurisdiction, says IGP
Malaysian Olympic swimmer Welson Sim catches eye of Chinese netizens
Ismail Sabri: 14 localities in Kelantan, nine in Sabah among areas under EMCO from July 27
Man drowns trying to recover outboard engine which fell into sea
Covid-19: 482 individuals arrested for various SOP violations
Online abuse of our Olympic heroes uncalled for, says Chong Wei
Don't impose dress codes at vaccination centres, says Leiking
No hybrid Parliament sitting, all MPs allowed to attend, says Art Harun

Stories You'll Enjoy