PETALING JAYA: The US Embassy has reiterated that Malaysians are not affected by President Donald Trump’s travel blacklist.
“The Executive Order stands as it was issued last week. Malaysia is not on the list of countries affected by the Executive Order,” a US Embassy spokesman said Wednesday.
“Malaysians can continue to travel to the United States with a valid visa,” he added.
The spokesman's comments came after a local online portal reported that Malaysia is one of 20 new countries whose citizens are banned from entering the United States.
The portal quoted a tweet from US-based Mic.com reporter Jack Smith IV as saying that one Malaysian was among 71 detainees at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.
The portal has since removed the report.
Smith clarified in a later tweet that the countries on his list have not been added to the original seven-country blacklist.
“The US Government is committed to facilitating legitimate travel for international visitors while ensuring the security of US borders,” said the US Embassy spokesman.
“This suspension provided for in the Executive Order will allow the US Government to review current screening procedures while protecting national security,” he added.
Last Friday, Trump signed the Executive Order titled “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States,’ which effectively suspended refugee entry for 120 days and Syrian refugees indefinitely.
It also bars the issuing of visas for 90 days for citizens of six predominantly Muslim countries, the Executive Order said, citing concerns about terrorism.
Those countries are Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful