PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (pic) has called for a thorough investigation into the catamaran that sank while on a journey to Pulau Mengalum on Saturday.
“I take the Sabah boat capsize tragedy very seriously, and I want a thorough investigation to identify the cause of the incident,” Najib posted in Bahasa Malaysia on his Facebook account at about 3.15pm on Monday.
“However, for now, complete focus must be given to the search and rescue of six other victims who are still missing,” he said.
Najib urged all parties to abide by rules and guidelines set by the Government to ensure their safety.
The catamaran carrying 28 Chinese tourists and three crew capsized at about 10am on Saturday after being hit by strong winds and huge waves an hour after leaving the Tanjung Aru jetty here for Pulau Mengalum, a tourist attraction about 56km northwest of Kota Kinabalu.
The 26-year-old skipper and a 38-year-old crewman were rescued earlier on Sunday, but have been held under Section 304A of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence.
They were being held to assist police investigations into the incident, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din said on Twitter.
Twenty tourists and two crew members were rescued from waters near Labuan, about 32 hours after the catamaran sank. Three tourists were found dead.
Did you find this article insightful?