Bombing case back to square one


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 12 Jan 2017

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has fixed Jan 24 to appoint new lawyers for the two accused in the Movida nightclub bombing case.

High Court Judicial Commissioner Nordin Hassan made the decision after the lawyers for Imam Wahyudin Karjono, 21, and Jonius Ondie @ Jahali, 24, discharged themselves from the case at the start of the trial here yesterday.

Imam was represented by Wong Kar Fai and Farida Mohammad, while Aaron Mark Pius and Kong Jiun Yuan represented Jonius.

The Deputy Public Prosecutors were Saiful Edris Zainuddin and Mohamad Mustaffa P. Kunyalam.

During the proceedings, which was briefly delayed as Imam had not been brought to court, the lawyers asked for a postponement of the trial.

They said they had been furnished with new documents pertaining to the case just the day before and needed more time to prepare their clients’ defence.

However, Nordin said the excuse was not justifiable as all the documents had been handed over to the defence at the end of December.

“But the lawyers have requested to discharge themselves, and I have no power to object that.

“The lawyers will no longer represent the first and second accused. If the accused require a lawyer appointed by the court, we will appoint for them,” he said before adjourning the proceedings.

Wong later told reporters that they had submitted a request for postponement over personal reasons on Monday, but it was rejected.

“I have just returned from the UK last Friday while Farida is still recovering from dengue,” he said.

The four said they were forced to discharge themselves from the case as they would not have been able to represent their clients fairly had the trial proceeded as scheduled.

The court was supposed to hear the testimony of 12 witnesses over two days.

Imam and Jonius are facing eight charges under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder, and one charge under Section 8 of the Firearms (Heavy Penalties) Act 1971 for using a hand grenade.

The two also face a charge under Section 130(c)(1)(b) of the Penal Code for committing terrorist acts.

Jonius, a factory operator from Sabah, was also charged in a separate court under Section 130J(1)(b) of the Penal Court with committing terrorist acts.

Both men are alleged to have committed the offences at the Movida restaurant and bar at IOI Boulevard in Puchong, Selangor, at about 2am on June 28 last year.

Eight people were injured in the incident that police later confirmed to be the first attack by the Islamic State (IS) terror group in Malaysia.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Courts & Crime , movida , bombing

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Kedah MB's office to close from Jan 31-Feb 2 due to Covid-19 case in building
Ten slapped with fines in PD for violating MCO
Health Ministry: New high of 1,577 daily cases recorded in Selangor
Ismail Sabri: Residence management allowed to ask for Covid-19 test before allowing entry
Cop undergoing home quarantine succumbs to Covid-19
Kuching Water Board staff member tests positive for Covid-19
Government mulling heavier punishment for those flouting SOP
Bung proposes reservoirs built in each Sabah district to face emergencies
Covid-19: Sarawak records 171 new cases, one new death
Covid-19: Cases up by 4,094, bringing total to 198,208 (updated daily)

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->