PETALING JAYA: The overall scheduled water supply recovery for areas in Zone 1 stood at 72% as of 4pm yesterday, said Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas).
The water concessionaire said the scheduled water supply for areas such as Gombak and Kuala Langat stood at 91% respectively, followed by Kuala Selangor (80%), Petaling district (78%), Kuala Lumpur (70%) and Klang (14%).
“Every effort is being undertaken to restore water supply to Zone 1 areas which have not fully recovered,” said Syabas in a statement last night, adding that it will deploy water tankers to those affected areas.
It also said a burst main in Taman Melawati, Gombak, which is under Zone 1, caused unavoidable temporary water interruption in the area.
Syabas said the scheduled water supply recovery for areas in Zone 1 began as early as 9am yesterday, after the Sungai Selangor Phase 1, 2 and 3 Water Treatment Plants resumed full operation at midnight.
It said consumers without water supply in Zone 1 areas could request for relief water supply by sending SMS to 15300 and typing TANKER
“To help speed up water supply recovery to all affected areas, consumers are urged to use water prudently,” said Syabas.
For the latest update on the water interruption, consumers can refer to the mySYABAS phone app, syabas.com.my, the Air Selangor Facebook page or Air Selangor on Twitter.
The water supply schedule had been planned from Dec 19 to 24, with affected areas divided into two zones.
Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) had explained that the water disruption was a result of a pre-scheduled preventive maintenance at its main intake substation.
The power company said the water cut was necessary as the Bukit Badong substation supplies electricity to the Sungai Selangor water treatment plants.
TNB added that the maintenance, which takes place once in three years, was necessary to ensure unexpected power cuts do not occur in the future.