PETALING JAYA: Residents and businesses in certain parts of the Klang Valley are annoyed over the bad timing of the water supply interruption starting from tomorrow until Christmas eve.
As the disruption cuts too close to Christmas day, the affected communities feel that it should be rescheduled so that the cuts would not disrupt their celebration preparations.
“Some equipment is used to steam dishes, so how can we do that without water?” said Mike, a manager of a restaurant chain in Damansara Heights, located within the affected areas.
Restaurant manager N. Suresh said maintaining cleanliness of the outlets and restrooms will be a challenge for F&B outlet operators.
Taman Tun Dr Ismail (TTDI) resident association president Abdul Hafiz Abu Bakar said a five-day water disruption is a little drastic, especially during the festive season.
“At least wait until after the festive season is over,” he said.
Some TTDI residents have also started an online petition calling for a postponement in the water disruption, with close to 800 individuals already signing the petition as of 6pm yesterday.
A housewife in Setia Alam who only wants to be known as Ong, 52, said she is ready to go to other areas for meals if there isn’t enough water at home for cooking and cleaning.
Research assistant Elijah Hee, 27, is considering staying in a budget hotel in Puchong or going back to Ipoh for the week to escape the water disruption.
An estimated 3.9 million households and businesses in the Klang Valley will experience water supply disruption as the Sungai Selangor water treatment plants cease operations following preventive maintenance works conducted by Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) at the Bukit Sadong substation.
TNB said the scheduled works had been planned since September and Dec 19 was chosen after a meeting with representatives from the water sector, including Syarikat Pengeluar Air Sungai Selangor Sdn Bhd (Splash).
Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas) said water supply will be replenished periodically to affected areas from Tuesday to Saturday.
Areas in Zone 1 will have water supplied from 4pm on Tuesday.
Water supply will be disconnected from 9am on Wednesday and Thursday before being replenished at 4pm on Friday and Saturday.
Areas in Zone 2 will have water supplied to them from 4pm on Wednesday and Thursday before being disconnected at 9am on Friday and Saturday.
“Supply will resume gradually to affected areas as soon as the plants start operations again.
“Water recovery in areas at the end of the distribution system and on higher ground will take a little longer,” said Syabas spokesman Amin Lin Abdullah.
“Water tankers will also be sent to areas with low water levels in the service reservoir.
Consumers can also request for water supply via SMS by typing TANKER
A full list of affected areas can be found on www.syabas.com.my.