GEORGE TOWN: Taking sand from the coastline of Tanjung Bungah for another beach on Penang island is like robbing Peter to pay Paul, said an environmental group.
Sahabat Alam Malaysia (SAM) president S. M. Mohamed Idris said it shared the grave concerns of the residents and fishermen living near the coastline.
“Such activities are destroying the beaches and the coastline in the areas concerned.
“The taking of sand from a highly populated part of Penang will destroy the environment there.
“To beautify the beach in a hotel stretch at the expense of another part of Penang is like ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’,” he said in a statement here yesterday.
He was commenting on a report in The Star over the dredging works at the estuaries of Sungai Kelian and Sungai Kechil which had irked residents in Tanjung Bungah.
It is believed that the sand would be sent to the Batu Ferringhi beachfront between Hard Rock Hotel and Bayview Beach Resort for a RM10.8mil beautification project.
Mohamed Idris also urged the state government to reveal if an Environmental Impact Assessment had been carried out for the sand dredging and mining works in Tanjung Bungah.
Canadian S. P. Richard, 68, who is residing in Penang under the Malaysia My Second Home scheme, had on Friday questioned the state government’s transparency on the matter.
“There is a lack of transparency about the sand dredging project.
“The state or authorities should let residents know what’s going on in their neighbourhood,” said Richard.