Mentally unstable man slashes cop with sickle

  • Nation
  • Monday, 14 Nov 2016

Visiting officer: Kota Tinggi acting OCPD ACP Nik Azaham Nik Aziz visiting Sgt Maj Yusuf in hospital. — Bernama

KOTA TINGGI: Police shot dead a mentally unstable man after failing to subdue him with a taser during a raid on his home in Felda Pasir Raja.

Hours earlier, the man had slashed a police station chief who had tried to calm him down. The policeman was seriously injured.

Kota Tinggi OCPD Supt Rahmat Othman said Sgt Maj Yusuf Ahmad, from the Bukit Besar station, had gone to the house with five other policemen and staff from the local health clinic at about 7pm on Saturday following a report that a man was behaving in an unruly manner.

“The man had apparently not taken his medication.

“When Sgt Maj Yusuf entered the house, the man attacked him with a sickle, slashing him on the hand and piercing him in the left rib area,” Supt Rahmat said, adding that the policeman was rushed to Kulai Hospital.

He said personnel from the Johor Police Contingent Serious Crimes Unit and district police headquarters stormed the house at around 4.15am.

“The police party was forced to use a taser on the suspect as he was still aggressive and refused to surrender.

“Even after being stunned with the taser, the man tried to attack them and they were forced to fire three shots which hit him,” he said.

The man was wounded in the chest and died on the way to hospital.

In an unrelated case in Mersing, eight suspects who were arrested after a commotion in Taman Fajar, Endau, have been remanded for four days.

Johor police chief Comm Datuk Seri Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd said via a statement that two suspects surrendered themselves while the rest were nabbed at a nearby area.

“Police have solved the case and members of the public are urged not to spread rumours because this case is not related to racism or gangsterism,” he said.

It was reported earlier that an attempt by three youths, all aged 16, to break into a karaoke joint in Taman Fajar ended in a commotion.

The premises owner had spotted the boys and, with his four friends, allegedly beat them up with sticks before they were handed to the police.

A group, believed to be residents from the housing area nearby, turned up at the police station.

When police did not release the youths, the crowd went to the karaoke joint and threw things at it, as well as overturned three cars parked outside.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site