RM3.5bil budget for Selangor


  • Nation
  • Monday, 31 Oct 2016

SHAH ALAM: Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali (pic) announced an RM3.45bil state budget, which includes the largest-ever amount allocated to development in the state’s history.

About 52.2% of the budget – or RM1.8bil – will go towards development, while the remaining 47.8% or RM1.65bil will go towards management.

“Selangor is once again the leader in preparing a development allocation which exceeds the management allocation,” Azmin declared.

He said the 2017 Federal Budget only allocated 18% towards development, adding that Selangor’s development allocation was an increase of 25% or RM360mil more than that allocated for 2016.

Under the 2017 state budget, families with a household income of RM3,000 or less will be given medical and healthcare coverage amounting to RM500 a year.

“For this, the state government plans to allocate RM125mil a year,” said Azmin, adding that this would provide free healthcare services to some 250,000 families from the B40 or “Below 40” lower income group.

He said recipients will get medical cards which can be used in some 1,000 clinics in the Klang Valley which have registered to participate in the scheme.

Selangor has also allocated of RM5mil to battle dengue and zika in the state, a significant increase over the RM1.5mil allocated for 2016.

Azmin said the increased allocation will be used to increase pest control activities by local councils.

The 2017 budget also includes a plan to allocate RM192.7mil towards the establishment of the Semenyih 2 and Labohan Dagang water treatment plants.

“Construction of the Semenyih 2 water treatment plant is expected to be completed in December, 2017, while the Labohan Dagang water treatment plant will be fully operational by the middle of 2018,” said Azmin.

Selangor also increased its allocation for the state Drainage and Irrigation Department (JPS) to RM135mil in 2017 to implement 85 flood mitigation projects that have been identified.

Azmin said the allocation, an increase of 68.7% from the previous year, will cover, among others, flood mitigation projects in Sungai Kandis in Klang (RM7.5mil), Kampung Melayu Subang (RM6mil), and Sungai Labu in Sepang (RM3mil).

“The allocation will also be used to implement other flood mitigation projects at the Klang and Langat river basins, including upgrading drainage, reservoirs, and coastal development,” he said.

Changes in the global weather require everyone to take proactive measures against disasters such as extreme heat and drought, while floods and disease outbreaks have to be properly handled so as not to adversely affect the rakyat, said Azmin.

“The Selangor state administration is concerned about the importance of the development of irrigation and drainage systems to contain rainwater runoff.

“JPS has to provide the engineering expertise and management of water resources, river basins, coastal zones, and flood and drought management in an integrated manner.

“The state administration will not neglect the effort and support required by JPS to carry out this responsibility,” he added.

Meanwhile, Azmin said RM7.3mil will be allocated to conserve, upgrade, and maintain landfills in Selangor.

“At present, Selangor folk generate a total of 6,000 tons of solid waste daily.

“A properly built landfill with integrated and systematic waste management will lessen the negative impact on the environment.

“We ask the people to be prepared to accept new and safe technology that has been proven to save energy,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Dr Wee confident M’sian contingent will do well in Olympics
Wakaf Tapai Rukun Tetangga deputy chairman shot dead by close friend
Two-year extension for contract doctors will allow Health Ministry to look at other ways to reward them, says sec-gen
Chow Kit market to close for seven days from Saturday (July 24)
Covid-19: More community than workplace clusters reported, says Health DG
Covid-19: Nearly 40,000 cops, family members test positive since March last year
Hamzah urges IGP to take stern action against personnel involved in partying at police station
Heavy rain, strong winds damage Tanjung Sedili MMEA office
MCA proposes ‘Marshall Plan’ towards an inclusive economy
Covid-19: 144 fatalities bring death toll to 7,718

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers