GEORGE TOWN: The Penang state government has urged the Federal Government to expedite the approval of a RM350mil allocation for the second phase of the Sungai Pinang flood mitigation project here in the wake of Saturday's floods here.
Penang Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow said the flash floods that hit various places along Sungai Pinang and its tributaries highlighted the importance for the project's immediate implementation.
"The first phase was completed more than 10 years ago. However, the second phase could not proceed because of the failure to get an allocation from the Federal Government," he said in a press statement on Sunday.
Chow claimed that the state government had raised the matter with the prime minister and minister in charge many times since 2008 but had yet to get the money.
He said the state drainage and irrigation department had already resettled more than 200 families living along the Sungai Pinang river reserve for the second phase to be implemented.
"The state government urges the Federal Government to quickly approve the RM350mil allocation to solve the flood problems along the Sungai Pinang basin, which is an important basin as it passes through places with high residential and development density like Paya Terubong, Bandar Baru Air Itam, Jalan Air Itam, Jalan Lumba Kuda, the Jelutong area including Jalan P. Ramlee, Jalan Dato Keramat dan Jalan Sungai Pinang," he added.