Temiar make stand at ‘Kg Blockade’


  • Nation
  • Monday, 03 Oct 2016

GUA MUSANG: The Temiar tribe first attracted the country’s attention in August last year when seven orang asli pupils fled into the forest to escape punishment for swimming in a river without permission.

The entire community mounted a search for them. Some 45 days later, two of them were found by search and rescue personnel and brought out to safety, but the others did not make it.

Now, interest in their well-being has been rekindled with the staging of a blockade to stop loggers from transporting logs out of what they claim is their ancestral land.

Since last week, about 200 villagers mounted the blockade, resulting in a deadlock between both parties.

“We have given up being nice and getting pushed around all the time. This time, we will make our stand, stick together and are prepared for the worse,” said the group’s spokesman Limit Lias.

He said they named the blockade area “Kampung Blockade”, situated about 70km from here, in the Balah forest reserve.

Men and women were seen mingling around, treating the new “village” as their home. A special makeshift booth was erected for visitors to sign in before entering.

The villagers kept a close watch on all strangers, even pressmen, with some getting ready to take pictures and videos of outsiders.

About 10km from the blockade site lies a log collection area. One of the tribe leaders , Azmi Badol, said they had stopped three lorries laden with logs from leaving the area.

Azmi said they would only negotiate with the Kelantan state government.

“It will be good if the mentri besar visited our area to see the devastation for himself. We can no longer tolerate this.

“We demand a stop-work order be issued immediately and a panel to assess the damage,” he said.

Azmi also said that all of them were prepared to be arrested by the police.

He said there were at least 2,000 villagers in Pos Gob, Pos Simpor and Pos Pasik, and the majority of them depended on the forest to eke out a living.

Limit said lorries with logs would be not be allowed out of the blockade site but loggers could move out their heavy machineries.

“We are serious about this and will monitor the situation from morning to night,” he said, adding that they were prepared to eat just ubi kayu (cassava) to protect the site.

“We have nothing to fear. We are not militants or an aggressive tribe but are here to protect our rights in a peaceful manner.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Environment , orang asli , blockade

   

Next In Nation

Go ahead and lodge report, I can go to Bukit Aman, says Hadi
Return of Sabah’s 40% net revenue among issues discussed at state assembly sitting
Woman escapes with minor injuries after nasty collision with lorry
Bukit Aman: 152 bookies nabbed over World Cup betting
Association successfully raises RM318,800 for UTAR Hospital, says Dr Wee
Peter Anthony uses Sabah budget debate to apologise for 'words, actions' during GE15
Sarawak gets 60 requests for temporary papers from stateless persons under 21
Perikatan man's remarks on unity govt an insult to royal institution, says Fahmi
Despatch rider gets three years jail for snatch theft
It's not chicken feed: Poultry industry hit with RM500K in compounds since Feb 5

Others Also Read