SUNGAI PETANI: The number of villagers evacuated from floods caused by unusual high or king tides in Kota Kuala Muda near here has risen to 769.
The victims who rose from 432 on Monday were moved to five relief centres by 4pm yesterday.
They are from 195 families in six villages - Kampung Paya, Kampung Sungai Yu, Kampung Sungai Meriam, Kampung Masjid, Kampung Ujung Matang and Kampung Padang Salim.
They were evacuated to SK Seri Kuala, Kampung Paya community hall, Kampung Sungai Yu surau, Telok Amboi community hall and the home of the Sungai Meriam Village Development and Security Committee (JKKK) chairman when the floods hit more areas yesterday.
Kuala Muda district Civil Defence officer Azahar Ahmad said heavy rain and strong winds had worsened the king tides.
Kedah Housing and Local Government, Water Supply, Water Resources and Energy Committee chairman Datuk Badrol Hisham Hashim visited five of the affected villages yesterday, accompanied by Pantai Merdeka assemblyman Ali Yahaya.
He said the state government would seek federal aid to upgrade the beach bunds at several villages in Kota Kuala Muda to make sure that they were not affected each time a king tide phenomenon occurred.
He said a working paper on the matter had been prepared and would be forwarded to the related ministry and the Economic Planning Unit so that the project could be carried out soon.
“The estimated cost of the project which will stretch for 8km is about RM16mil. The upgrading include road repairs, buffering of eroded areas and building of wave breakers.
“The present beach bunds are unable to offer much protection and do not function well, causing sea water to overflow into padi fields and houses of the villagers,” Badrol added.It was reported yesterday that 432 people from the six villages were evacuated to three relief centres after flood waters reached up to 2.9m-high.