PUTRAJAYA: The moratorium on bauxite mining in Pahang is extended to Dec 31.
Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said this was because there were still about 4.13 million metric tonnes of bauxite stockpiles that had yet to be cleared and exported.
"The Cabinet has agreed to extend the moratorium deadline, which was supposed to be on Sept 15, to Dec 31.
“So far, we have given out 38 special approved permits (APs) to clear out the bauxite stockpiles.
“However, there are still 4.13 million metric tonnes of stockpile that has not been cleared. I have no idea why the industry is taking its time to clear them.
“Until the stockpile is cleared, we will not lift the moratorium on bauxite mining, so the industry cannot blame us if there is no business due to the ban,” Dr Wan Junaidi told a press conference here.
This is the third time that the Government had extended the moratorium, which calls for a halt to bauxite mining activities in the state.
It was first imposed on Jan 15 this year and scheduled to end on April 15, but the deadline was then extended to July 15.
On Jun 29, the Cabinet agreed to extend again, this time to Sept 15, to allow more time to clear the stockpile.