Man who paid RM10,000 to ‘cut queue’ in 2014 is still waiting


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 31 Aug 2016

GEORGE TOWN: A day after the father of Sungai Pinang DAP assemblyman Lim Siew Khim was implicated in a scandal for allegedly soliciting money with the promise of getting people low-cost and affordable housing, another similar case has surfaced in Penang.

A “cut queue scheme” victim who said he had been on the waiting list for nearly 10 years, told The Star he was referred to an “agent” by a former special assistant of a local elected rep.

Leo Tan said the “agent” had even met him at a Komtar canteen frequented by civil servants back in 2014 and many state government staff seemed to know the man. It was at the canteen that Tan paid the man RM10,000.

A few months after handing over the money, Tan said the man called him to say that the approval had been granted but he needed to pay another RM20,000 to finalise it.

He refused to do so after realising he had been duped.

Tan said he tried looking for the man and had sought out the elected rep’s special assistant. The assistant had resigned and both men had gone missing since early this year.

“My parents applied for a low-cost flat on the mainland more than 30 years ago but never got it.

“I am now in my 40s and never owned a home. I don’t want to be like my parents who had to wait until they were in their 70s and 80s,” said Tan.

He said he applied for a RM200,000 unit in George Town and wondered why he was on the waiting list for so long even though he was eligible for it.

“The man told me if I didn’t pay up, I would always be on the waiting list. Until today, I am still looking for that former special assistant.”

When told of the matter, state Housing Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said these victims should contact the police.

He said incidents of such nature had occurred before, the most recent being reported in March.

“Three individuals made police reports against brokers who promised them public housing units with a certain amount being paid upfront.

“According to the police, one of them has been charged in court with cheating,” he said.

There are 35,229 Penangites on the waiting list for affordable homes. Those on the island are priced below RM400,000 and those on the mainland below RM250,000.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Courts & Crime , housing , con , job

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Ex-PKR MP Steven Choong rubbishes allegations of being pressured to support Muhyiddin
Covid-19: 5,858 vaccinated in Sabah so far, says Masidi
GRS not affected by Umno-Bersatu strained ties, says Hajiji
Ismail Sabri: 205 nabbed for violating SOP on Friday (March 5)
Covid-19: Four new clusters identified, three linked to workplaces
Ismail Sabri: EMCO at Kg Serumah Siburan, Serian, Sarawak from March 7-20
Covid-19: 1,680 new cases, seven deaths bring total fatalities to 1,166
PKR wants only loyal members to be picked as GE candidates, says VP
Covid-19: Cases up by 1,680, bringing total to 311,777 (updated daily)
MACC urges PKR’s Sekijang MP to lodge report over poaching allegations

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers