IPOH: Fifty-six Malay College Kuala Kangsar (MCKK) students here are down with food poisoning after having meals at the college's dining hall last Wednesday.
Perak Health Department director Datuk Dr Juita Ghazalie said the students showed symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, fever, dizziness and abdominal pain, which was later on confirmed as food poisoning by the District Health Centre's medical officer.
Three students were referred to the Kuala Kangsar Hospital while the rest received outpatient treatment at the hospital," she said in a statement here Sunday.
Dr Juita said preliminary investigations revealed that the van used to transport food from the kitchen to the dining hall was filthy, with maggots found in the vehicle.
"Other risk factors include the use of dirty kitchen utensils such as trays, jugs, water dispensers, bowls and plates," she said.
Dr Juita said several samples of the utensils and water have been sent to the Chemistry Department for inspection, adding that the Perak Health Department had instructed the food operator to temporarily cease operations.
"The hostel kitchen has also been instructed to close under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988," she added. – Bernama