IGP confirms IS behind grenade blast in Puchong


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 05 Jul 2016

KUALA LUMPUR: The grenade attack at the Movida Kitchen, Bar & Club Lounge in Puchong was carried out by Islamic State (IS) militants, police have confirmed.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the attack carried out by two men last Tuesday at the nightspot was the first strike by the terror group in Malaysia.

He said the duo were arrested on Friday at a factory in Klang where they worked.

“They were receiving instructions directly from known IS militant Muhamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi from Syria. The club was attacked as it was deemed an unIslamic establishment,” he told a press conference at Bukit Aman yesterday.

The 2.15am blast at the nightspot left eight people, including a female Chinese national, injured.

The explosion shattered the perimeter glass panel, causing shrapnel to hit patrons.

The two men escaped on their motorcycle after carrying out the attack.

On the hunt: Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar showing pictures of two more suspects wanted in connection with the Puchong attack.
On the hunt: Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar showing pictures of two more suspects wanted in connection with the Puchong attack.

Speculation was rife that IS was responsible but police were unable to ascertain it at that time.

Khalid cautioned that the attack in Puchong formed only the first of a series of attacks planned by the terror group in the country.

He said the duo had also targeted the senior leadership of the country, the police top brass and members of the judiciary.

“Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has contacted me and given me very strict instructions,” he said, referring to the Prime Minister’s concern on the IS threat.

Besides the two attackers, the IGP said 13 other IS-linked suspects had been arrested since the day of the attack.

Khalid said they included two police officers in Kedah and Perlis.

“One of them planned to carry out robberies to help fund an IS cell while the other was protecting a senior IS member,” he said, adding that the suspects were aged between 19 and 52 and nabbed in Kedah, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Malacca.

Khalid said police were looking for two more suspects – identified as Md Saifuddin Muji, 28, and Jasanizam Rosni, 33.

He said those arrested had been recruited and given instructions through social media.

He pledged to scrutinise the web in even more detail from now on.

He urged nightspots and other outlets to be cautious due to the IS threat.

“Try to make sure that it is not so easy to enter, and please adhere to the operating hours as stipulated,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

No documents found on Yayasan Akalbudi's contributions over purchase of bungalows in Kajang, says witness
Madius denies backing Perikatan
Penang cops investigating report of man in pink wristband seen at hardware store
MB: Selangor govt to evaluate need to hold State Assembly meeting
Police arrest four men for allegedly using taxi for trafficking drugs worth RM3.4mil
RM17.9mil from Yayasan Akalbudi funds withdrawn without board's consent, says witness in Zahid's trial
EMCO in Kg Tanah Merah in Kota Marudu extended until March 22
Over half a million in Sabah completed census, says state Statistics Dept
Covid-19: Cases linked to a supermarket in Cheras among three new workplace clusters
Contractor rescued after being buried alive while doing cable works in Klang

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers