Second trail to open soon


  • Nation
  • Monday, 20 Jun 2016

Safe journey: Yassin trying out the steps placed on the steep climbs and ropes provided for the safety of climbers at the soon-to-be-opened Kota Belud route.

KOTA KINABALU: A second new trail to the summit of the 4,095m Mount Kinabalu promises more adventure for climbers when it opens by August.

Kinabalu Park rangers continue to check and recheck the more or less completed new Kota Belud route on the western side of the mountain for safety before Sabah Parks decides to open it to the public.

Kinabalu Park manager Yassin Miki, who checked out the second route known as Kota Belud – as climbers can see part of the Kota Belud district – said the route was “slightly shorter” than the Ranau trail.

“We are now rechecking the trail for safety and may also have to change certain rules for those using the trail,” he said yesterday.

The Kota Belud trail is an alternative to the Ranau trail that is on the eastern side where climbers get breathtaking views of the Ranau area.

Yassin said there was a possibility of the second trail being opened by as early as middle of July.

The trail where climbers would move on a westerly direction from Panalaban, is a tougher route involving some steep climbs with help of ropes. Ranau trail, also from Panar Laban, is more picturesque.

Both trails end at Sayat-Sayat (3,668m) before climbers head for Low’s Peak, the summit.

Sabah Parks chairman Tengku Datuk Zainal Adlin said that part of the Kota Belud route utilised the original summit trail but avoided the rockfall areas following last year’s June 5 earthquake.

The magnitude 6.1 earthquake triggered rock and boulder avalanches killed 18 and left over 150 people stranded in the summit plateau. The move to set up the Kota Belud trail as an alternative to Ranau trail was initially aimed at providing an emergency escape route for climbers in the event of any emergencies due to natural disaster.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Next In Nation

Food delivery man killed by falling tree branch following heavy rain in Cheras
Ramadan bazaars will be closed if Covid-19 infections occur, says Annuar Musa
As Covid-19 cases rise, local authorities in Sabah told to review ruling on markets and stalls
Sabah STAR sec-gen Guandee Kohoi to be sworn in as Deputy Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister on Friday (April 16)
Cops record statement from Zeti’s husband
Religious school in Kelantan, Kuching Pulapol under EMCO from April 16-29
State to ramp up vaccination plan to immunise all eligible Sarawakians by end-August, says Douglas Uggah
Employment portal will help Malaysia legalise undocumented Bangladeshis, says High Commissioner
No MCO in five Sarawak districts, CMCO to continue until April 26 as scheduled, says Deputy CM
Two boats held in Johor over illegal fishing

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers