Police identifying Malaysian child abuse victims of British paedophile


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 02 Jun 2016

KUALA LUMPUR: Police are taking steps to identify the victims of British paedophile Richard Huckle (pix) who admitted to multiple counts of molesting Malaysian children.  

Federal Police's Sexual, Women and Child Investigation Division assistant principal director ACP Ong Chin Lan said Bukit Aman had already asked London-based National Crime Agency (NCA) to hand over the details of the case.  

"So far, the victims have not been identified and the NCA only informed about the incident about one month ago, but no information has been given because the case is still on trial.  

"We have asked for the information repeatedly and will continue to press them for more information for follow-up action. 

"Hopefully, after the court judgment on Friday, the authorities in United Kingdom can provide us with more information," she told Bernama Thursday.  

British media reported that freelance photographer Huckle, 30, may have abused up to 200 children aged between six months and 12 years, from 2006 to 2014.  

The BBC reported that his sentencing hearing began in London on Wednesday, and is expected to conclude on Friday.  

The 91 charges levelled against him related to 23 children from mainly poor communities in Kuala Lumpur. He admitted to 71 of the charges.  

ACP Ong also said a programme in cooperation with a non-governmental organisation was being planned to help the victims.  

On whether police would seek Huckle's extradition to Malaysia, she said: "We will not try him in Malaysia because the sentence (which will be imposed) in the United Kingdom is for offences committed in Malaysia, he cannot be punished twice."  - Bernama


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online