KUALA LUMPUR: Police have not detected the two alleged Uighur terror suspects who are believed to have entered Malaysia from Thailand, said Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.
“We are not sure as we have their names and their details but not their pictures,” the Inspector-General of Police said.
Khalid was responding to a Bernama report that two Turks of Uighur descent, suspected of plotting terrorist attacks in Thailand, had left for Malaysia.
It was reported last week that Malaysian authorities were on high alert following information from Thailand that the two were heading to Malaysia.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi was quoted saying on Sunday that the two were actually economic refugees.
Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is also the Home Minister, said at the time that Malaysia received information from Interpol, as well as the Homeland Security of China, about this intelligence memo issued by the Phuket Immigration Office of Thailand.
Thai officials were quoted as saying that they had been informed of the men’s recent departure by Phuket Immigration Office.
The names of the two Uighurs were believed to be the same as those in a leaked intelligence memo, which had claimed that the duo and two Russians of Chechen descent were plotting terror attacks in Thailand.