Nine school food poisoning victims discharged


IPOH: Nine SM Sains Tapah students who were down with food poisoning on Sunday have been discharged from Tapah Hospital.  

Perak health director Datuk Dr Juita Ghazalie said there were still 26 students being treated at the hospital.  

The nine discharged students were brought back to the school and would stay in the sickbay for observation.  

It was reported that 43 students and a teacher, aged between 13 and 50, came down with stomachache, vomiting and diarrhoea after supper on Sunday.  

Apart from those who were admitted to Tapah Hospital, one student was sent to a private hospital and the others were treated at the school's sickbay.  

The teacher was given medication and sent home to recuperate.  

Dr Juita said food samples taken from the school kitchen had been sent for testing and the report should be out between five and seven days.  

“We took clinical samples from the affected students, food samples from the kitchen and swabs from the utensils and food handlers.  

“The report on the findings will be sent to the school authorities and the district education department for further action,” she added.  

Since January, three hostel canteens in Perak have recorded food poisoning cases.  

On March 4, 103 people were struck with food poisoning after eating food at a stall in Siputeh, near Batu Gajah. One of them died after 19 days in hospital.