PETALING JAYA: Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad (pic) is no longer Petronas adviser following a unanimous decision by Cabinet to terminate his appointment.
“Cabinet decided that since Tun Mahathir is no longer supporting the current Government, he should no longer hold any position related to the Government. Therefore, the Cabinet today agreed unanimously to terminate the appointment of Tun Mahathir as advisor to Petronas,” said a statement by the Prime Minister’s Office.
The PMO said on Friday that Cabinet had discussed Dr Mahathir’s actions, particularly in launching the so-called “Citizens’ Declaration” with Opposition leaders last week.
“The declaration aims to topple the democratically-elected Government led by the Prime Minister, and is therefore against the law and the Federal Constitution,” it said.
Last Friday, Dr Mahathir and other signatories – including former deputy prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, former Kedah mentri besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir, DAP adviser Lim Kit Siang, former MCA president Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu, PAS election director Datuk Mustafa Ali and former Kita president Datuk Zaid Ibrahim – signed a declaration calling for Najib’s removal.
Dr Mahathir was appointed as Petronas adviser after he stepped down as the prime minister in 2003.
He remains the chairman of Proton Holdings Bhd, a post to which he was appointed in June 2014.