Recruitment put on hold


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 20 Feb 2016

KOTA SAMARAHAN: The Govern­ment has suspended the recruitment of all foreign workers, including those from Bangladesh, pending a review of the levy and rehiring programme.

The move comes just a day after Malaysia inked a deal with Bangladesh to bring in its workers here over the next three years.

Announcing the decision, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the suspension would enable the Govern­ment to reconsider the revised two-tier levy for foreign workers.

“We will also focus on the ­rehiring programme for foreign workers. We will carry out enforcement to ensure that no more illegal ­foreign workers enter the country,” he said after meeting army personnel at Kem Muara Tuang here yesterday.

Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is Home Minister, also urged all employers to hire local workers.

“We hope that Malaysians, especially youths, will heed our call to take the place of foreign workers and be the mainstay of our workforce for the economic development of the country,” he said.

The Government had previously said it would discuss the new rates with stakeholders before making a final decision.

Employers had been unhappy with the increase in the levies to RM2,500 for workers in the manufacturing, construction and service sector and RM1,250 for the plantation and agriculture sector.

Later, during a Chinese New Year gathering, Dr Ahmad Zahid said the rehiring programme was meant for employers to legalise their foreign workers.

“We are registering them pro­vided they have employers, so that we are utilising existing illegal ­workers,” he said.

“For those who have no documents, their embassies will have to issue them with documents in order for them to be registered as legal workers, otherwise we have to send them back.

“We will focus our attention on those who have overstayed, abused their workers’ visa or do not have the proper documents.

“They will not be allowed to work in Malaysia and enforcement will be stepped up on a large scale.”

He added that the suspension would remain in place until the Government determined the actual manpower requirements of the industries.

On Sarawak’s decision not to recruit Bangladeshi workers for its plantation sector, Dr Ahmad Zahid said the power to take in foreign workers came under the state govern­ment, which had control over immigration.

“We leave it to the state government to decide as they know very well the demands of the industry. If the policy is set at federal level, they do not necessarily have to follow our policy,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Noh Omar: I still love Umno even though I was sacked
Zahid to meet Hajiji, tells Sabah Umno to remain calm
Johor floods: Pet cats first to be saved by flood victim
AG can appoint new lead counsel to replace Sri Ram in 1MDB trial, says Malaysian Bar
Anwar sees food security as new area to be explored with Singapore
Govt plans to introduce higher education sponsorship programme for poor students
Umno purge: Hisham should file appeal with disciplinary board, says Nur Jazlan
Johor SPM workshop issue comes to an end after special meeting of school's PTA
MATFA ushers the prosperous CNY with Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister
No Umno members have applied to join PKR so far, says comms director

Others Also Read