One month not enough to clear bauxite, says contractor


  • Nation
  • Friday, 19 Feb 2016

Red zone: The bauxite mine at Felda Bukit Goh. — Bernama

KUANTAN: The one-month period to clear up bauxite stockpiles at the Kuantan Port is insufficient as the work cannot be completed within that period, said a contractor in charge.

Jauhari Permai Sdn Bhd manager Bahazelan Abd Wahab said there were 10 million tonnes of the stockpile at the port.

“However, only some two million tonnes could be exported within the 30-day period between Jan 15 and Feb 15,” he said.

Bahazelan said his workers had done their best to clean up the premises using six water jets and eight powered sweepers, adding that work had been conducted around the clock since the first mo­ratorium dated Feb 15.

Despite having about 80 personnel working non-stop, he said the volume was “just too high”.

“At least 90 lorries come and go. They need to be cleaned or washed accordingly and it has gone on continuously.

“But because of the high volume, it is quite impossible for us to complete the job within the timeframe.”

Bahazelan said they would still do their best because “the production has been stopped since Feb 15” and that meant their work situation was getting better.

However, they would need about five months, he added.

Jauhari Permai is one of 10 contractor companies that have been tasked with clearing the stockpiles and cleaning the affected compound.

Bahazelan also said it was not right to blame the Kuantan Port authority for failing to meet the deadline.

“Everything has been done accordingly but time is too limited,” he added.

On Jan 6, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar directed bauxite mining operators to manage the stockpiles to protect the residents and environment.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Sg Buloh ramming incident: Duo to be charged on Friday (March 5)
MACC investigating officer: Ahmad Zahid received two cheques worth RM6mil
Zahid slams Takiyuddin's 'refusal' to reconvene Parliament
Bersatu: Umno's decision to cut ties will have a major impact on any future cooperation
Retired cop shares experience of apprehending Botak Chin, Bentong Kali
Trader fined RM3,000 for molesting ex-lover
Sabah to allow more Covid-19-negative Malaysians to enter state
Sources: Bersatu to wait for Barisan’s stand on cooperation
Umno will not postpone party polls, says Nazri
Covid-19 clusters in nursing homes have claimed nine lives, says Health DG

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers