KUALA LUMPUR: The business community in Bangsar rallied together to help extinguish a blaze which swept through the second floor of a book and stationary store along Jalan Telawi 5, Bangsar Baru here.
In the Saturday incident, two managers and eight staff members were doing a stock-take at CzipLee Books and Stationery when a fire broke out at around 5pm.
Company director Jason Chen, 37, was also in the bookstore at the time of the incident. There were no customers around as the store was closed for the Chinese New Year holidays.
According to Chen, some people from a nearby banana leaf restaurant contacted the Fire and Rescue Department upon noticing the blaze.
“The Bangsar community has been fantastic. Everyone started contacting us and coming here to give us water.
“We are very happy about that,” he said, adding that swift response from the community helped minimise the damage caused by the fire.
Chen said that this was the first time a fire had broken out at the store, which has been in operation on Jalan Telawi 5 for five years.
The original family-run store, located in Kajang, has been in business for 48 years.
Fire fighters from the Pantai, Hang Tuah and Seputeh stations arrived at the scene at about 5.10pm to tackle the blaze.
Chief of operations Mohd Firdaus Zulkifli said the team managed to quell the flames at around 5.35pm.
The cause of the fire and the extent of damages have yet to be determined.
Did you find this article insightful?