Line Clear operator ordered to clear out


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 21 Jan 2016

Last call: The Line Clear restaurant operating as usual along Penang Road. The court has allowed about three weeks for the premises to be vacated.

GEORGE TOWN: The current operator of Line Clear nasi kandar outlet here has been given three weeks to vacate the premises in Penang Road.

This came following the dismissal of an application by the operator, Abdul Hamid Seeni Parkir, 67, in the High Court here for a judicial review to quash a decision made by the Penang Island City Council in 2014.

Judicial Commissioner Collin Lawrence Sequerah held that the council had discretion and power under the Local Government Act to grant the licence to the outlet based on rotational basis.

He ruled that the council had acted reasonably and legally, and not ultra vires and in breach of natural justice.

“The council’s decision is legal, rational, lawful and rational and the parties were given opportunities to be heard,” he said.

Collin also said the applicant had no legitimate expectation because neither Abdul Hamid nor his father had held any licence previously.

The court also dismissed Abdul Hamid’s application with cost of RM12,000 to be awarded to MBPP and RM15,000 to be awarded collectively to the second, third and fourth respondents.

The respondents are T. Abdul Latiff, 55, Sahubarali China Mohd Hanibah, 58, Pathumah Iskandar, 69.

After the decision was read out, Abdul Hamid’s counsel M. Kumar orally applied for an interim stay pending appeal but was dismissed by the court.

He also applied for time to vacate the premises and the court granted Abdul Hamid three weeks from yesterday.

It was reported that MBPP had issued a licence for the operations of Line Clear in Abdul Latiff’s name but Abdul Hamid obtained a stay of execution from the High Court against MBPP.

Abdul Hamid had applied for a judicial review of MBPP’s decision to act against him.

The restaurant licence was supposed to be issued annually to the four cousins – Abdul Hamid, Abdul Latiff, Sahubarali China, and Pathumah.

MBPP was represented by Karin Lim and Murgan D. Maniam.

Besides Kumar, Abdul Hamid was also represented by Md Yusuf Md Idris while Abdul Latiff, Sahubarali and Pathumah were represented by M. Kanesan and K.T. Rajah.

Meanwhile, a worker at the outlet said Abdul Hamid was performing umrah in Mecca until Jan 27.

When contacted, Abdul Latiff said he was happy with the court’s decision.

“We are glad that the court has ruled in our favour. It is a fair decision.

“We plan to hold a press conference, possibly next week,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Courts & Crime , line clear

   

Next In Nation

Citizenship for overseas-born children: Court to hear govt’s stay application on Nov 15
Retired naturalised athlete accused of cheating former senior sports official
Trip to New Zealand: Santhara Kumar files defamation suit against Batu MP
Khairy: Practise healthy lifestyles to prepare for endemic
12MP: Carbon-neutral commitment to attract foreign investment, tackle climate change issues, says Tuan Ibrahim
No changes to regulations relating to colour of school buses, says Dr Wee
Three die, two suffer serious injuries in Johor car crash
Analysis: Experts see new normal as more online, possibly more isolated future
NSC: EMCO in Felda schemes in Pahang, Orang Asli villages in Perak from Wednesday (Sept 29)
Suspect made off with dodol packets, gold chain in Melaka robbery

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers